Cafergot
Loves_to_read
2012-01-14 20:52:37 UTC
Talked with Sandoz yesterday and they say that the manufacture of Cafergot
is delayed. I don't know when this product will be available, nor do I know
who the manufacturer is. The poor lady at Sandoz that I talked to had been
getting calls all day from irate patients. I tried to tell her we were not
angry at her, just frustrated about the delay with no ship date. If they
said that the medication would be out in April, that would have not been so
great, but to tell a patient who cannot use anything else, it's like telling
them to go chop off your head because we don't care if you're in pain.

If we could put pressure on these companies, it would help, but that doesn't
seem to be the case. Anyone know more details?

Penny ---- hording her precious last bottle of Cafergot.
~Sage
2012-01-17 07:11:07 UTC
I looked and couldn't find anything Penny. I hope you'll be able to
get some soon! I know where you're coming from, can't imagine what
I'd do without my Imitrex! It's a longshot but have you checked with
Teri Robert? She might know something or be able to get you some
info. ~S
Loves_to_read
2012-01-18 22:47:41 UTC
Someone suggested getting it from a Canadian pharmacy, but how do you tell
which one are legit? I would hate to spend money on a medication that is
totally bogus. The one I found had both the generic and brand Cafergot.
However, the brand is still from Sandoz, so it is probably backordered up
there, too. Don't know if they manufacture the generic brand in Canada or
not. Have not checked with Teri, but will do so if I can't locate it
somewhere.
Thanks for getting back to me. Penny
n***@usenet.com
2012-01-19 08:43:43 UTC
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:52:37 -0800, "Loves_to_read"
Post by Loves_to_read
Talked with Sandoz yesterday and they say that the manufacture of Cafergot
is delayed. I don't know when this product will be available, nor do I know
who the manufacturer is. The poor lady at Sandoz that I talked to had been
getting calls all day from irate patients. I tried to tell her we were not
angry at her, just frustrated about the delay with no ship date. If they
said that the medication would be out in April, that would have not been so
great, but to tell a patient who cannot use anything else, it's like telling
them to go chop off your head because we don't care if you're in pain.
If we could put pressure on these companies, it would help, but that doesn't
seem to be the case. Anyone know more details?
Penny ---- hording her precious last bottle of Cafergot.
I took cafergot for around 20 years and was doing quite well with my
migraines. On the ocasional day I had such a bad migraine that nothing
else helped, I got Darvocet. My doctor always made sure I had plenty of
both. Then I had to relocate to another state. I went to a clinic and
was told that even though I had my medical records, they would have to
re-evaluate me. After lots of tests, they gave me Imitrex. Not only
was this stuff much more costly, but it was less effective and had some
nasty side effects. I went back, asked the doctor for the Caffergot and
Darvocet. I was told that caffergot is "obsolete and ineffective". As
far as the Darvocet, they said it's a controlled substance and too
dangerous to prescribe for migraines.

I have since been to 4 more doctors. They have all told me that
cafergot is obsolete and one doctor told me that it's been determined
that it does not work at all, and is no longer prescribed.

So, for he past 8 years I have suffered with migraines, had to cope with
the side effects from the Imitrex, and finally just quit taking it.
Because of the migraines and inability to control them, like I did all
those years on cafergot, I had to go on disability. These days I just
take No Doze and Naproxen together. That works about the same as the
Imitrex, without the side effects.

When I saw this message I was surprised they even prescribe or even make
Cafergot anymore. Knowing this really tends to anger me, because the
doctors have been lying to me, and I am not stuck living in poverty,
because witout the cafergot I could not work any longer.

Of course it's likely the same old story. The Imitrex cost more, so
more profits were made for the drug companies, and we all know those
companies pay off the doctors to prescribe their latest crap.
Loves_to_read
2012-01-19 17:16:12 UTC
I've been taking some form of Cafergot since the 80's. I was really peeved
that the FDA suddenly decided all the generic companies had not run
sufficient tests and had to either run the tests or remove their product.
What was left was the brand name of Cafergot. Now, there is a back order
after the generic was forced off the market last year. See a connection??

I'm sorry that your doctors lied to you. My doctor right now is great.
He's surprised that the Cafergot works, but keeps prescribing it. I did
just try Imitrex tablets (generic) and they don’t seem to work, besides
making me a bit sick.

Sorry for your situation. I'm also on disability and have not worked since
1995. Fortunately I live with a family member in a separate apartment.
Penny
Post by n***@usenet.com
When I saw this message I was surprised they even prescribe or even make
Cafergot anymore. Knowing this really tends to anger me, because the
doctors have been lying to me, and I am not stuck living in poverty,
because without the Cafergot I could not work any longer.